Friday , March 5 2021

Facebook says it removed 120,000 posts for attempting to obstruct voting

Facebook rejected 2.2 million ad submissions for targeting the US without completing its authorization process, Agence France-Presse reported. The social media giant also has removed 120,000 posts across Facebook and Instagram for violating its voter interference policies and placed warnings on 150 million posts debunked by fact-checkers.

Facebook vice president for global affairs Nick Clegg made the remarks in an interview with the French newspaper Journal du Dimanche. He said Facebook has used artificial intelligence that “made it possible to delete billions of posts and fake accounts, even before they are reported by users” and noted that the company has partnered with 70 media outlets, including five in France, to verify information.

Facebook introduced that fact-checking program in the aftermath of the 2016 elections, and added it to Instagram last year. The program has since expanded to include Facebook groups, where misinformation is frequently shared. The fact-checking program has had mixed results, however, with early partners Snopes and ABC leaving the partnership.

And a report in the Wall Street Journal last week demonstrated how far Facebook has gone to try to appease conservatives who frequently complain about perceived bias in its algorithm. According to the WSJ, Facebook designed changes to its news feed algorithm in 2017 to reduce the visibility of content from left-leaning news sites like Mother Jones on its platform, with CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s approval.

Facebook has taken other steps to try to mitigate potential chaos on November 3rd and afterward. The platform will ban ads that wrongly claim victory in the US presidential race, or ads that claim rampant voter fraud could alter the results of the election. Facebook also will reject ads from Donald Trump or Joe Biden if either tries to claim a win prematurely. And it’s banned new political ads the week before the election.

Correction: An earlier version of this article contained inaccurate information about why Facebook rejected 2.2 million ad submissions, due to what Facebook says was a mistranslation of Nick Clegg’s comments. The article has been updated to reflect this fact.

This Article was first published on theverge.com

About IT News Ug

Check Also

Facebook’s Australian media ban is taking down official government pages

Fire agencies and health departments’ posts have disappeared from the platform

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

//stawhoph.com/afu.php?zoneid=2572107